Once you have moved to Geelong from overseas you will have an obligation to prepare and submit tax returns in Australia.
And moving to Australia on a permanent or temporary basis will mean that you are facing a new tax system.
This means new forms, tax returns to be completed each year with different filing deadlines to be met, and probably the need to consider the interaction of tax systems in more than one country.
If you have no untaxed income in the first tax year after you have moved to Australia – for example if your only income is from a salary in Australia that has already been taxed – you should also be eligible for a tax refund after you have prepared and submitted your first Australian tax return.
Note also that your Australian visa status can have a significant impact on how you are taxed in Australia on income and capital gains, particularly income and gains arising outside Australia.
GM Tax offers the following services to individuals who are moving to Geelong:
- Tax planning advice, with a regard had to your visa status in Australia if you are not an Australian citizen
- Help with preparing UK and Australian Tax returns (including advice on tax deductions to reduce your tax liability), with all returns submitted to HM Revenue and the Australian Taxation Office electronically
- Preparation of accounts for taxpayers who are operating their own businesses
- Assistance to ensure income is properly taxed and not taxed twice. This includes guidance relating for new Australian tax residents who are receiving UK rental income, and pension income from the UK.
- Tax File Number registration with the Australian Taxation Office
- Guidance on the use of superannuation in Australia as a means of securing improved after tax income, including the use of Self Managed Superannuation Funds
GM Tax provides a fixed fee quote whenever possible to all who are interested in engaging our services.
If you are moving to Geelong or are already living in Geelong – and would like a free no obligation fee proposal from a firm of tax advisors that understands the tax and financial issues affecting people arriving in Australia more than any other please complete the enquiry form on this page, or please telephone us on 03 9935 2891 (from outside Australia: +61 3 9935 2891).
We’ll be delighted to have a free initial discussion with you, after which we can send a no obligation fixed fee proposal to you.