Departing the UK

Leaving the UK – usually to migrate to countries such as Australia, or to live and work as an expat for several years – will often raise important tax planning and compliance questions.

For example, what are the tax consequences of being non UK resident?

This can be a particular issue where a property in the UK is being retained and let – for people in this situation there is likely to be a need to submit tax returns with HM Revenue as a non resident.

Those who are non UK resident and who are selling a residential property in the UK must now also consider their capital gains tax position in the UK, as well as in the country in which they are resident.

Inheritance Tax (IHT) planning is an issue of increasing importance for many, as an exposure to IHT is a function of an individual’s domicile status, rather than tax residency – although being a tax resident of the UK can trigger or revive a UK domicile.

Indeed, even those who are not UK domiciled remain subject to IHT in the UK on their UK located estate.

GM Tax offers the following services to those who are departing the UK:

  • Tax planning advice, with a regard had to your residency status in the UK, and to domicile status in the context of IHT planning
  • Preparation of UK tax returns, with all returns submitted to HM Revenue electronically
  • Advice on the tax position where a property in the UK is being let while a taxpayer is living overseas
  • Assistance to ensure UK source income of those who are non residents of the UK is properly taxed and is not taxed twice, or double taxed. This last point is particularly relevant to those who have UK source income or capital gains which is also subject to tax in the country in which the taxpayer is now resident

GM Tax has a policy of providing a fixed fee quote whenever possible to all who are interested in engaging our services.

If you are departing the UK for a period of living and/or working overseas and would like a no obligation fee proposal from a firm of tax advisors that understands the issues affecting you please don’t hesitate to contact us by completing the enquiry form on this webpage or telephoning the GM Tax office that is closest to you.

We’ll be delighted to have a free initial discussion.